- Rent the smallest amount of space you will need and pack it efficiently.
- You will need boxes, tape, markers and packing material (i.e. foam shipping noodles, bubble wrap, packing paper or towels).
- Uniform size boxes for make stacking easier.
- Make an inventory list of your items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box away from the unit.
- Prepare your space by storing items on 2×4 boards or on pallets to guard against dampness.
- Use a light, breathable plastic cover to cover the entire mattress. Secure the cover with tape and cover any holes or tears in the cover.
- Do not store any food or pet food items. Additionally, please make sure your storage items are garbage free. Any food or garbage can attracts all types of pests.
- Have a plan! Place those items that you may need to access often in the front, little-used things in the back.
- Leave an aisle down the center of the storage unit for easier access, and a small space between the walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Do not overfill boxes as they may topple when stacked or burst during the move.
- Store old photographs between sheets of cardboard taped together to prevent curling
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes and seal with tape. To be super-organized, note the box numbers next to the items on your inventory list.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- CAUTION! Do not store any COMBUSTIBLE items. (i.e., Paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.).
- Use freestanding shelf units to help you better organize your stored items. Other Storage Tips RV Storage Tips
Other Storage Tips
- Use furniture drawers as storage places for pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Larger appliances make excellent “packaging cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes. When storing items inside refrigerators or freezers, leave the doors open to prevent mold and odors.
- Put TV’s and other electronics in the rear of your unit
- Store shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables that have removable legs should be broken down to save space. Tape the legs to the bottom of the table top so they don’t get misplaced.
- Sofas and love seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and stack on top of sofas.
- Don’t place sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover upholstered furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. Otherwise they might bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Wipe any items made of metal — bikes, metal tables, tools, etc. — with machine oil to prevent rusting.
- Drain gasoline and oil from mowers/small engines. Follow manufacturer instructions